A Brief History of the Museum
Citizens of Springfield began collecting items for a museum as early as the 1950s. In 1979 the Springfield Museum Committee formed as an offshoot to the Springfield Historical Society. In 1981 the Springfield Museum officially opened to public, housed in the restored Western States Power and Electric building on Main Street in downtown Springfield.
A Powerful Location
Built in 1911, the Springfield Museum’s brick building originally housed the Oregon Power Company transformer station. Power was generated by burning wood waste at the the nearby Booth-Kelly Mill. The interior was originally a single, cavernous 3-story room with three transformers that towered from floor to ceiling.